I remember being about 4 years old. I was in the car with my dad, half asleep. Driving no where I can remember but long enough to recall enjoying the afternoon drive. The afternoon sun would peep from behind the trees as we drove along. I remember feeling the warmth of the sun and noticing the way it danced in and out of the trees as we sped by.
In my dreamy thinking, I wondered why all the trees were running in the opposite direction to the car, yet the Sun seemed to keep up with us. Running along behind the trees and dashing in and out causing a flutter of light that was better enjoyed with my eyes closed. "Dad?" I asked "Why are all the trees running in the other direction to us? How come the sun flying next to us?"
Whichever way my Dad managed to explain the laws of physics and motion in regards to this scenario, I don't really recall. What mattered was that the Sun was warm and bright and it didn't really bother me that the trees were running away from our car. Those trees were not mine from home anyway.
Sometimes what matters is that we have the good fortune to experience the universe around us. It doesn't matter how it all happens or why, just that it does and we had it, even if just for a moment.
Sometimes, I think too much about tomorrow and what happens then. Too worried about getting somewhere else but 'here'. Yet 'here' is what matters more because when tomorrow is 'here' today is gone and I won't be able to get that back.
Today is the Sun, tomorrow are the trees and yesterday disappears in the rear view mirror as fast as the white dashes on the road do.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave feedback below!