Sunday, August 4, 2013

WEEK 1 OF MAX'S OVER - 11 TO GO!


Well there you have it hey...week 1 down!
I tell people, it's just one small step after another - just move a little and then a little more, and that's certainly what the last two weeks have felt like.
I actually started my journey on the 15th July one week before Max's official start. So far I've lost 4 kilos, but I've also lost so much more.  I can't get over the fact that I've only lost about 2% of my body weight yet I already feel so much healthier.
Firstly I want to comment on how I feel physically. Sore! Lol.  But that soreness is not over the top and I wear it with pride. I also feel much more energetic and also much more mobile.  I can't tell you how incredibly important nutrition is to my journey as it has given me the energy to get moving and instead of feeling tired, drained and bloated, I feel ready to go for it everyday.  
My diet has gone from 1-2 binge meals a day, to up to 7 meals each day.  I feel like I am forever eating. Processed carbs have been replaced with high quality carbs in controlled amounts and rather than being the bulk of my meals, now only make up about 30%-35% of my dietary intake. I have to say, this took some getting use to. In week 1 my tummy felt heavy and I couldn't believe how much I was eating - I felt like I was cheating. I thought eating healthy meant eating crappy little mouse meals and craving the next meals and then the next.  This isn't true at all.  I feel very constant - never hungry, I eat what I have to and never skip meals and my energy levels are smashing it now.
This energy system is absolutely the foundation for everything else.  There's just simply no way I could turn this rig around otherwise.  Mentally as well, being so energy ready, means I don't sook and whinge and feel grumpy and tired. Where once I waited for the end of the day to go home and binge and fall asleep exhausted, now I get home and I'm ready to go do something else! Usually going to the gym!
Some people talk about cravings in the first few weeks, but I've been quite lucky.  I don't feel that like some people and I think the key is, I don't cheat and i don;t have 'cheat meals' - food can be healthy and good for you and taste bloody awesome (check out my burger in the photos) and you can stick to the rules - my view is if you feel like you need a cheat meal your nutrition isn't quite right - either you are eating to little, not often enough, perhaps your insulin is rocky because you don't have your blood sugar levels in check...that is if you are really craving something.  If you just wanna eat something different for the sake of it, well I just personally feel like I'm kinda not every really hungry so I can more easily turn things down. But hey I need to - some people can afford to have a cheeseburger I guess.
So I want to reflect now on the highlights of this week - the small steps:
* I followed the exercise and nutrition plans to the key.
*I overcame my fear of the gym - and I feel ok now going in there!
*I used the free weights and benches which I was super scared about!
*I actually went into the city on my own and walked around in Melbourne Central all by myself.  Didn't feel so much like an elephant amongst pigeons.
*I have more self-esteem - I'm on an important mission!
Finally, I'd like to acknowledge the huge number of people who have sent me letters and messages about my journey - I can' tell you how much your support has given me the courage to walk into that gym with my head held high. I'm the biggest guy in there and I just don't give a damn lol!!
To those others who have been in touch sharing their own demons, I'm so glad my story has opened up dialogue around your health and well being.  No one should feel so alone as I did, yet I know also that change only comes from within.
One small step after another and enjoy each and every step as a success!
Till next time!

Brodie :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback below!